Morning guys! If you were joining me at my kitchen table for a coffee this morning, here’s what I’d share, showing you pictures along the way:
(photo courtesy of Travis from Lindsay’s List)
1. Trader Joe’s French Roast coffee is where it’s at. I finally busted into my purchase from my trip down to Utah last weekend and look forward to making it every morning now. As I chatted with Katie about last weekend, it’s all about the process of making coffee: the anticipation, the sound of grinding the beans and subsequent smell of the coffee percolating… Choosing your mug and then sitting down to enjoy those first few sips. Never rushed – unless you’re on your way to a roadtrip or day of climbing or skiing. Then it’s in a travel mug and never tastes quite the same.
2. I would then mention that we’re packing our travel mugs for a there-and-back-again adventure (err, roadtrip) to BC leaving tomorrow! Our friend Chai Young was married earlier this month in Korea and is having a Canadian reception in Abbotsford. We met in university and have stayed in touch since then, and we realized that Mikey and I couldn’t miss this chance to support her and her now-husband! So roadtrip snacks, coffee, prepping for good conversation and maybe an audio book are about to ensue! We LOVE roadtrips…do YOU?
3. After expressing my upcoming roadtrip excitement, I’d then mention that I’m a little nervous Saturday is my last long run before the marathon. No, I’m not nervous about the distance, but I am nervous about the timing of those 20 miles. We won’t leave until the afternoon for BC Friday so we will arrive late, and then there’s the 20 miles to be run in a new location by myself and then the need to drive the rest of the way to the wedding reception venue by 12:30 pm. Whew! Then we have the evening and turn around and drive home. It’s going to be a whirlwind, and it’s crazy how much I’ve thought the run! I’ve heard that you schedule your life around your runs in marathon training but didn’t realize how much it’s true when your runs really last a while…So, I’m nervous about the timing and location of that run on Saturday before the festivities begin!
4. Then I’d share about the weather, because when you get together over coffee the weather almost always inevitably comes up. I’d say that it’s been super rainy here – which is great because I miss the rain and gray skies because it’s never like that in Calgary – and ask what you think about the rain. But then I’d mention how it does make my long run that much more difficult; it was great heading out in a tank top and shorts for my last few long runs! “Oh well – it could be rainy on marathon day,” I’d reflect…
5. I’d also share that while I’ve been loving running, my legs have been SO SORE most of the week that it’s been tough for me to get motivated to run (that and the weather!). It’s all thanks to the beauty of a long downhill run followed by a squat and jumping heavy GPP workout at Blend Retreat (thanks, Neil)! 😉 Kinda love it, although this week I’ve been breaking my miles up in between exercises in the gym to keep up with my strength training. It’s been great! I’m loving not only the runs but also hitting the weights and my core.
OH! And as a side note to that I would mention that I workout in the same clothes all week, every week. Yep. Same capris, same socks, same sports bra and tank generally. These pictures are from different days. Time to finally use the hashtag: #sorryimnotsorry 😉
6. After hearing a bit about your life I would want to know what you’re learning these days. I’d mention that I’m constantly relearning the same thing: that time spent with Jesus is the best time I can spend. I’d say that it’s tough for me to get that time in even though I know it is the most important! But I’d also mention how grateful I am for His grace and for the sun waking me up early lately so that those moments are built-into my morning.
7. Lastly, I’d finish my small cup of coffee (I’m a small mug person, you know), and say that this weekend I’m resolved to eat better. You hear it all the time, I know, but it’s been a week of overeating at night. Not feeling the best about myself today but it’s time to reign it in. I’ve got a 20 miler to healthily fuel for and most of marathon training hasn’t be overindulgent (one of my goals!) but this week has fallen apart a bit. Anyone else need to recommit with me a bit? Let’s do it!
What would you tell me if we were having coffee this weekend? Leave me a note and have a great long weekend for those in the US and a great (hopefully non-rainy) weekend for those up north! Live well & be well,