Happy Wednesday, guys! Half way through the week and I hope you’re having a good one (and a belated Happy International Womens’ Day to all the ladies out there – did anyone celebrate or do you have thoughts on this day?). My day started off early with clients and therefore with this beautiful sunrise:
…beautiful. It really is amazing that the sun comes up every day and continues to set – what a faithful Creator. Feeling grateful and thoughtful this morning as I reflect on the simplicity yet enormity of a sunrise and it’s implications.
From sunrises to food – there’s no smooth transition to make there! 😉 I was recently asked by Tracy if I would do a post on what I eat, and since I’ve learned so much about nutrition from other people’s sites I thought I would include my eats from yesterday! Keep in mind that I am not a registered dietitian but am simply sharing what I’ve learned and what works for me. Pay attention to your body and your needs and your tastes, but hopefully this helps to see some variety and what others enjoy. So here’s …a day in the life of my stomach!
Breakfast: My usual breakfast is before you here (sorry in advance for all the phone pictures – we packed our camera and can’t find our battery charger!):
I love oatmeal. It hasn’t always been my favorite breakfast, but recently I’ve discovered some great toppings to add in that make it a delicious, nutritious, and filling way to start the day. Some toppings I usually stir in if I have them on hand into 1/3 cup of rolled oats include:
- Banana – normally half, normally cut up & mixed in, sometimes mashed and cooked in with the oats.
- Ground flax seed (fiber!)
- Cinnamon (metabolism booster and flavor enhancer!)
- Pepitas, sunflower seeds, a few almonds – some type of nut (protein!)
- A dollup of almond butter (my favorite nut butter – have you branched out from peanut butter? There are SO many options to add to your palate!).
- A bit of plain yogurt or almond milk (or any milk would do), occasionally.
Other breakfasts for me include: “healthier” (less sugary) cereals with yogurt and a generous amount of frozen blueberries, cinnamon, and banana mixed in (see a pattern with my breakfast foods?), eggs and toast, pancakes with almond butter and some type of fruit thrown over top. YUM! I could eat breakfast foods all day – it’s my favorite meal! It gets your metabolism going for the day ahead, gives you energy, and can be delicious if you don’t get stuck in the cereal rut. Here are a few great breakfast recipes for you to try out:
- Grilled Banana Sandwich by Caitlin
- Tribute to Oatmeal from Kath – lots here if you love oatmeal too!
- The Blueberry Buckwheat Bake created by Ashley – a GREAT breakfast if you can wait a half hour while it bakes in the oven. 😉
Today’s breakfast in the car and in between clients? Overnight Oats! Check out this great post for a description of this make-ahead, vegan version of oatmeal from Angela. that requires ZERO prep in the morning and, while different than hot oats and isn’t a taste for everyone, can be tweaked and flavored to your liking.
Two corn tortillas smeared with goat cheese (a specialty for me; I rarely buy it but love it!) with some salsa, kale (usually reserved for smoothies for me because of the bitter taste, but I loved it like this!), and an egg. I would have added some beans if we had any (black or kidney – really any bean would have been great!) and other veggies, but the fridge was empty (full today – wahoo!).
Usually I’ll have a bit of leftovers and try to sneak in a salad and some veggies, which I actually find challenging after coming in from a morning of training when I don’t feel like stopping, cooking, and creating and when carbs are so much handier and quicker to grab! I’m guilty of that for sure, but as you know I’m working on my mindless munching. To help with that, healthy snacks are a must for me, such as this tupperware of fun we took in the car with us yesterday (grapes and almonds)!
Other snacks I love include:
- Granola Bars (especially the homemade ones! Know what you’re eating)
- A banana with a smear of almond butter
- A Green Smoothie (although these can also practically be a meal if you put enough stuff in it! Filling and a great way to get your GREENS in!)
- Carrots: I ate one this morning at 8:50 am in the car. 😉
- Green Tea: Fills me up when I feel like munching when I know I’m full, and also is stocked with antioxidants which help your body fight off those roaming and destructive free radicals!
Dinner: This meal is all over the place, and I/we normally don’t decide what to eat until right before we eat (sometimes a downfall!)…That being said, here are some of mine and Mikey’s stand-by dinners that are healthy, can be adjusted to suit your tastes, and that are easy to make:
- Stir Frys: You can’t go wrong with this meal! Start with a grain base, such as pasta or brown rice. Or, choose a more nutrient-dense grain like quinoa or barley. Then, add your meat (or tofu, if they need to be cooked), and from there your vegetables. Add a bit of sauce (Asian-inspired or maybe more Mexican) and enjoy! It’s always a great one-pot meal that you can cook up quick and put lots of vegetables in, like broccoli and peppers and steamed spinach.
- Salads: Sometimes a good salad just hits the spot and tastes so fresh! Just make sure if it’s the main part of your meal you’re adding some type of protein, like beans, a grain like quinoa, some chicken, or fish. It’s cheap and easy to make your own tasty salad dressings too, like the simple, heart-healthy olive-oil and balsamic vinegar combo.
- BFD: I love breakfast-for-dinner, whether it’s a more savory eggs + toast + avocado or “healthy” pancakes with fresh fruit. As long as I haven’t had lots of carbs that day I love having more for dinner. 😉
Those are just a few examples…the internet is FULL of delicious, healthy meal and snack ideas, not mention some tried and true cook books. What are your go-to meals? Are you stuck in a food rut or do you branch out throughout your day? I’d love to hear some fresh ideas and hear any fun recipes out there! Leave a link, a comment, or a good cook book – share the wealth of knowledge. 🙂 Have a great day – live well & be well, and watch in amazement for the sunset tonight.