Here we go! Welcome to Monday and to the second week of the Fitblogger Challenge (or the March Challenge if you’re not on Fitblogger – but you should be! Check it out and join the community). 😀 Another day, another week, another chance to live well and enjoy life. Maybe I’m feeling more this way because, although it’s not too warm out now, it is warming up and sun is finally shining today! Plus, I got a great run in yesterday – but that’s another story. 😉 Here’s my blog agenda today:
- Goals Check-in
- Good Blog Reads
- Exercise Challenge
So far, so good! My goals included:
- Drinking 3L of water a day. Most days I’ve been at about 2.5 L. It’s crazy – sometimes I’ll drink a litre right away, and then I’ll have hours where I don’t drink any water and then remember right before bed and start chugging water in an effort to make my 3 water bottle quota! I don’t think that’s how it’s supposed to go, but at least I’m getting lots of water in me today. I should be on track to hit 3 L today, and it’s easier on days I’m training b/c I take sips while clients are taking a quick water break and because I talk so much! So on this goal, I’m doing alright. The awareness is sure there! [8/10]
- Maintain my fitness level with 3 different workouts a week. I love to workout, so this hasn’t been much of a problem for me over the last week – it’s my stress reliever and I’ve been faithful to move almost every day! My main workouts this week included different BodyRock workouts, some bootcamp workouts I created for clients (testing them out!), and some 20 minute jump rope sessions. On top of that, I was able to squeeze a 7.38 mile run in on Sunday in just over 1 hour – that’s quick for these legs! It was getting late in the day, the sun was out, and although it was going down, it was warmer than it had been. I’m glad I turned around at the half hour mark, because right when I changed directions the wind hit me full force on the entire ride home. I have never been so cold as I was on this run! Brrrr….the wind chill here just sucks the breath right out of you! But I listened to a great biography on the life of C.S. Lewis and was reminded to appreciate life – to appreciate the fact that the sun was setting, as it does every day, once again; to appreciate the sound of my feet bounding along the snow-covered path; to appreciate the cold wind and really feel it, as Lewis always did with the sights and sounds of the reality of life around him. This sure helped my attitude on the way home, and I ran fast because of that bitter cold! So that topped off a good week of workouts on my end. [10/10]
- Beware of mindless eating and monitor my nutrition better. This has gone ok…it’s definitely the hardest of the goals for me. I’ve been baking for other people when we visit for dinner and have such a hard time controlling my nibbling and dough eating! I just know how much better I feel when I fuel well, and keeping that in mind helps quell the mindless munching. So this has been alright…I can do better and I purpose to do better this week. [6/10]
Good Blog Reads
Thought you might like some good recommended blog readings, so here are some posts I enjoyed checking out over the weekend…enjoy!
- Surprising Superfoods – Do you eat any of these foods on a regular basis? Would you try some of them out? Kale, flax, and bulgar make more regular appearances in my life from this list…looking forward to trying more out soon!
- Soul Crushing Bootcamp: Try out this fun and dynamic bootcamp! I tried it out, like the moves, and adapted it with less break time in between both the exercises and the circuits. Love bootcamp-style workouts!
- Morning Muesli Bars: I loved this recipe from Emily, whose blog is full of good information, motivation, and great recipes. I’m such a fan of nuts and granola-type snacks, but they can be so high in calories and sugar content! Here’s a way to make small bars that are packed with nutrition, don’t contain any chemicals or unknown ingredients, and are a great pre- or post-workout fuel!
- Mama Pea’s Weiner Post: For a funny read without workouts or recipes lurking within it, check out this post. If you’re a blog reader and aren’t familiar with Mama Pea and her vegan family, you’re missing out! She is super witty and provides great vegan recipes whether you’re new to eating that way or trying to help your family eat healthier. This post, about the Oscar Myer Weiner truck, made me smile. 🙂
- Exercise Thoughts: I cannot recommend Shin O’Take’s thoughts on exercise and his workouts enough…check out the words on the front page of his site if you’re interested in burning fat and gaining lean muscle the most effective way! Agree? Disagree? Care to dialogue about it?
- Inspiration: Like Lady Gaga’s new hit single and Caitlin‘s Operation Beautiful but hate negative self-talk? Then this music video is for you! Check it out – it’s definitely worth a watch…
Although you now have access to that great bootcamp above, here’s another quick workout you could choose to mix things up a bit in your exercise routine. Try it today! If you give it a shot, let me know how it was for you!
10 Rounds of 4 Moves: Perform each exercise for 20 sec, completing as many reps as possible in that time. Keep your abs tight, form clean, and intensity high! Rest and repeat for 10 rounds total.
Equipment Needed: Stopwatch or Interval Timer, 1 set of dumbbells (5-20 lbs depending on your strength)
- 20 sec: Push Ups
- 20 sec: Dumbbell Plank Rows
- 20 sec: Mountain Climbers
- 20 sec: Squat Jumps
- 40 sec: Rest
And there you have it! More encouragement to keep up your goals (how are your March goals coming 1 week in?), some good reads (any thoughts?), and a quick, fast workout that will be over before you know it (you’ve got a few minutes, don’t you?). Have a great Monday – live well and be well today, friends!