Friday morning. Last day of personal training. One client down, 3 to go. It’s hard to believe that by 12 noon today, it will all be done. Another season turning, another chapter closing, a new one beginning. In a way, the time flew, and in a way, the time went so slow! Tomorrow we leave for our film tour, which means that the final countdown is on!
I blogged over at Wrong Way to Hope and included this video and comment and will say it again here: if this doesn’t get you pumped up for an upcoming adventure, I don’t know what will! The days have been busy and full, and here’s a little bit of what I’ve been up to, life- and fitness-wise:
- Film tour prep! But this goes without saying…there is so much that had to get done this week from finishing up our recent Shave for the Brave events to printing out promotional materials to running errands. I spent some time yesterday packing (a big task in itself!) and picking up banners for the RV and screenings. Whew!
- Catching up with people: I had a GREAT talk to my mom yesterday (who’s reaching her March Goals terrifically and hasn’t had any candy ALL month! She ate a grapefruit instead of our FAVORITE candy, red & black liquorice, last night…you rock, mom!). She encouraged me, as all moms do, saying that I’m looking good and fit (do all personal trainers wonder if they’re still “looking the part,” or just us?) and it was great to connect about life. I had a great Skype phone chat or two with my friend in Morocco, Anna, and I’m pleased to announce that I’m going to visit her in the middle of the film tour! We haven’t seen each other in almost 3 years and it’s crazy to picture being there and riding camels, seeing the dessert, meeting her friends, and catching up with her IN PERSON!
The timing worked out on her spring break, and I’ll only miss a few screenings; what a gift to be able to reconnect.
- Shopped around. Unlike me, I used some of my “free time” this week to explore the mall and a local organics food store and came up with a few hits and a few misses. My biggest score? New jeans! It’s been ages since I’ve had any, and I thought I should get some for the tour/life. After a few failed attempts, I meandered into an expensive jeans store, holding out hope for the clearance rack. Unmarked but still on the rack was a pair that looked like they might fit. Into the dressing room I flew only to fly back out, excited at a pair that fit both in the waist and at my feet (no hemming job needed! yesssss!) and was thrilled to see the total: $29.99. Wahoo! I also came back with these beauties:
A Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar (meh…this was only alright; my expectations were high!), a new stash of almond butter for cheap (for Canada!), some black quinoa (used in about 3 meals so far already), and some infamous coconut water that I’m waiting to use until I finish a tough workout! Anyone else tried this? What do you think? I’ll let you know my thoughts after I give it a whirl!
- Running: Well, the weather has been incredible this week (I know Sabrina understands – us winter folk get SO excited when the sun’s out and WARM for more than a day at a time!), which has made for more running! Monday I went for a speedy 7 miler and followed that up with an ambling, enjoyable 8 mile run on Tuesday. Wednesday morning, however, I felt a twinge in my right hip, and I am absolutely uncertain of what I did! All I know is that it hurts! I’m assuming I tweaked my hip flexor; anyone have any thoughts on an injury in that area that appears out of nowhere? Overuse? Bad stretching? I felt nothing on my run and don’t understand what I did, but going up stairs, standing up, and lifting up my leg sends shooting pains into that area. Sore and lame! Oh well…I took two rest days to see what would happen and I think it’s getting better. I realize that I’m usually in better shape if I do more high intensity workouts more often rather than run, but when the weather warms up all I want to do is run outside! Grateful for the two days I did get in this week.
- Jump Rope/Push Ups/Sit Ups: After resting all day Wednesday and most of Thursday, I couldn’t take it any longer and tried a few jumping motions – no back and forth, just up and down. I could do it! So I managed to use my jump rope and got 1,000 jumps in, jumping at intervals of 100 jumps. Then I rotated between 25 push ups and 25 sit ups until I hit 100 of each total, mixing up the kind of sit up and push up (had to be careful with the sit ups; only certain ones didn’t hurt!). I finished up my mini-workout with 100 side plank hip raises total, breaking after every 20 as I watched TV. Now there’s a good way to end the night! It felt great to move a bit, even if it was limited; just hope I’m not harming myself more by squeezing in some movement!
That’s about all the updates from around here since my last post…kind of the same: busy, trying to still fit movement in and eat well consistently, getting pumped to leave, and learning to be still amidst the busyness of these days! I am reminded of Ephesians 1:3 right now, which says:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every blessing in Christ.
EVERY blessing in heaven?! Wow…it’s so easy to forget all that we have, not only tangibly, especially as others all over the world (notably Japan, but so many other places like in Africa and Libya) suffer, but also the blessings of character we have. Our resources to live well are found in Christ, and I need to stop and remember this when life gets overwhelming. It’s not just about accomplishing and doing, but about being, and being for the praise of God’s glory (Ephesians 1: 12). What a reminder!
What do you do when you’re overwhelmed by stress and crazy days? Who or what allows you to settle down and refocus? It’s passages like these that remind me of what really matters and who I’m really living for, and that even if I can’t run or the film tour falls apart, God is faithful and I still have reason to live full blast for him! I am so glad that how I live isn’t based on how I’m feeling or what happens to me or around me. So friends, take some time to breathe, to participate in life and with others around you, to read an encouraging book or passage, to take note of a sunset.
Have a GREAT weekend and remember to check in on our film tour over at the Wrong Way to Hope blog (at the bottom of the main page)! Blogging on this site will probably be a bit more on and off but keep checking for updates as I attempt to stay hit and eat well on the road – that should be an adventure in and of itself! We’ll be taking videos and making lots of photo posts along the way as we start in Victoria, BC and head east to Halifax! Stoked and ready for the unknown…armed and dangerous with that Final Countdown song pumping us up!
Live well & be well friends; catch ya on the flip side from the road!