Happy Friday, guys! It’s an overcast, quiet day as we leave Fairmont Hot Springs for one last weekend backpack trip before heading to the coast, but after an easy 5 morning miles and some thrown-together barley+banana+apple+plain yogurt to refuel, I’m feeling good. Bring on the rain, for today, we farmer’s market it up in Radium. 😀
Speaking of running since I love to run so much and I know many of you out there do too (or are becoming runners!), I thought I’d do a little Running Questionnaire that I saw on Hilary’s site (for her answers, check out this post!). I love learning new details about people and also getting some advice or fresh ideas from other runners in particular, so I hope you enjoy learning a bit about me as a runner! Feel free to re-post these questions or comment on any of the questions too.
1. What is your favorite type of cross training? I love strength training, but that’s a separate, must-never-leave-out type of training…as far as cross-training, probably hiking; I wish I liked biking and/or swimming for good cardio cross-training but I don’t belong to a gym/pool or have a bike!
3. What brand of shoes do you wear? Asics & Mizunos (all hand-me-downs; I’m desperately in need of a new pair of runners!)
4. Do you wear a hat when you run? Never have, although a visor might be great to invest in for my dreads…
5. What temperature is your favorite for running? Cool, cloudy mornings are beautiful for long runs; fall weather is my absolute favorite! I also love running when it’s fresh and summery out before a hot day (makes me glad I got my workout in before it gets hot!). That doesn’t happen much in Calgary though.
6. Do you have any big races coming up? Not at the moment.
7. What is your favorite distance? 10 miles – I love to get out and get moving in a good groove for an extended period of time, and 10 miles always feels doable to me.
8. Are you an morning, noon or evening runner? Mornings usually, and often early mornings…
9. Do you run solo or with a buddy? Solo.
10. What is your favorite post run snack? A green smoothieand/or anything carb-y with almond butter! YUM.
(Not THAT green monster, THIS one!)
11. What is your favorite race? Probably the 1/2 marathon…but who knows? I think my body was built to go long and I’d love to try a marathon sometime.
12. Do you use GU for fuel or something different? If so, what? It’s not often I run long enough to fuel up (if I go over 10 miles I will), but when I do I occasionally use whatever GU I have on hand. For my 17 mile run (and first ice bath ever: video here!), I made some healthy granola bars and left them outside my house, stopping by for a bite after 10 miles and loved that!
13. Do you wear a Garmin? If not, how do you track your runs? No, I don’t have a Garmin, but I plan my runs beforehand and track them after using Map My Runonline (try it out! I love it).
14. What is your least favorite race? Probably a shorter distance, like the 5km (3.1 miles), although I don’t race often enough to truly give an answer.
15. What race is your favorite medal from? My 2nd place female finish from the Canmore 5 Peaks 1/2 Marathon last year!
16. Who is your running idol? Eric Liddell (of “Chariots of Fire” fame) because I identify with him on a few levels: first and foremost, he was a Christian, a Scotsman and a runner. I also think Kara Goucheris pretty rad for a present-day female runner!
17. How long have you been a runner? Since grade 7!
18. Do you run with your engagement/wedding ring on? Definitely.
19. What’s your favorite workout? Long runs? Repeats? Tempo? I love long runs but wish I liked tempo runs a little more.
So that’s a little bit about me and my running habits, likes and history! What about you? Choose a question above to answer in the comments so I can learn a bit about you, or do the whole questionnaire on your blog! Love how Holly says, “Sharing is Caring!”
Run on, friends…