Happy Friday, friends! The end of another week, the beginning of another weekend, the chance to choose to live well in each moment. Today has felt full of possibility to me today…I love that. A great breakfast and lunch, good clients throughout the day, a long run coming later and time with friends tonight…sounds like a good day to me.
Thanks for your comments on yesterday’s “11 Questions” post – it’s always fun to learn a little bit more about each other! I liked reading about some of your “ideal day” scenarios too…so many unique ways to spend the “perfect” day. But back to the title…keep reading for how my mom, a sandbag (plus video below!) and a workout all fit together!
…I’m so thankful for my mom! Not only did she get me the cute skirt and shirt to go with my crazy boots I just got, she got me some candy (oh yeah!) and some new workout clothes! Things I’d never buy for myself, which means things I appreciate that much more.
Moms really are the best, and although it’s hard to live away from mine (and the rest of my family), thoughtful gifts like this are so fun and good phone calls mean so much. Plus, having a personal trainer as a mom means that the gifts she bring are often more fitness-minded than treat-minded…which brings me to my Ultimate Sandbag!
I loved using the sandbag! Since yesterday, I’ve used it for 2 clients’ workouts and they love the variety (let’s disregard the fact that one of them threw it down after a move and said, “I hate that bag.” Comes with the territory!). I’ve created a few workouts with it as well and the above one is taken from this workout from BodyRock. Overall, here are a few initial impressions:
- I love how the many different handles mean many different exercises! You can perform rows, swings, presses, curls and more – just holding it with the increased weight and doing a lunge is a different challenge in itself!
- As a mobile person trainer, it can be tough for me to bring lots of equipment (although I try!) to people’s homes, and when they get stronger and we need to go up in weight or I’m training several people at once, it’s easy for me to choose bodyweight exercises so I’m hauling around less. However, I want my clients to get the best workout possible, and lifting heavier, especially as form betters and strength increases, is key to not plateauing and seeing change! The sandbag allows me to bring one piece of equipment that might be a heavier challenge for some of my clients.
- It’s unique! Something different and new, which is always fun. Plus, it’s pink!
- The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I would like more filler bags to create different weights of sand; not all my clients can safely lift the bag overhead while in a lunge or squat, so right now I’m a little limited with what we can do in the overhead department. Other than that, there are plenty of ways to use this baby!
Check out the above BodyRock workout, or try this one below to get a quick burn in on your Friday:
Repeat Circuit for 5 Rounds
[minimal rest between rounds to keep your HR up!]
- Sandbag Reverse Lunge: 12 reps: Clutch bag in front & alternate between reverse lunges. If possible, hold bag overhead for an extra shoulder burn!
- Sandbag Bent-Over Row: 12 reps
- Sandbag Squat + Leg Lift: 10 reps: Hold sandbag in front, squat down low, lift R leg out to side as you stand & repeat, alternating legs.
- [10 Sandbag Mtn. Climbers + 2 Triceps Push Ups]: 5 times: Keep hands on bag on ground when you perform your mountain climbers and shoot elbows back, grazing past your sides, to perform a triceps push up.
Let me know if you give the workout a shot! Have you ever tried using a sandbag as a weight? What have you done with it? Anyone made their own at-home version?
My encouragement to you today is to find some time to get a quick burn in over the weekend – you will feel better, get stronger, keep your fitness up and only take a small chunk out of your socializing and/or relaxing time! #makeitcount
Live well & be well friends!